Friday, October 18, 2013

Cards from the Dark Side...and Nebraska

Well, hey there, strangers! It's been awhile, but don't fret, I'm still here.

When I first started trading cards on the Internet many moons ago, I quickly found out that there are tons of amazing, generous traders out there in the world. When I started blogging about cards four-ish years ago, I found out that there is an even amazinger, generouser sub-group of people out there -- the card bloggers. Thanks to the Internet I've met some great traders and cool people. When I decided to reenter the blogosphere, part of the reason was because I missed interacting and trading with the other awesome bloggers.

One of the blogs I was super excited to see was still around is none other than that of Night Owl. He likes the Dodgers, but we can forgive him for that right? Anyway, I sent him a bunch of Dodgers I had laying around, including a manufactured Jackie Robinson patch card (seriously, though, I don't understand the purpose of the manu-patches, but that's a story for another day). And guess what!!! He sent me a nice stack of Phillies. So let's get to the show and tell...

2013 Triple Play #63 Ryan Howard
This is the very first Triple Play card I own. Well, outside of the ones from the early to mid-90's. I'm very happy to add it to my collection; however, I'm not sure how I feel about these cards. It's a nice looking card and a creative way to get around the lack of MLB licensing, it's just... It's hard for me to think of it as a "Ryan Howard card" since it doesn't really have him on it. I don't know, maybe I'm just weird. I did learn that he became the fastest player to reach 200 home runs. So there's that. Moving on...

2013 Topps Archives #47 Ryan Howard
2012 Topps Heritage #56 Cliff Lee
Have I ever told you how much I love retro cards? No? Well, I do. I absolutely adore this year's Archives set. So much that I decided to try to put the set together. Now, I am not a set collector by nature, so we'll see how far I actually get (again, a post for another day). Getting back on track, the addition of the Howard card above leaves me with 3 cards left to complete the team set: 28 Schmidt, 213 Samuel SP, and 240 Daulton SP. The 2012 Heritage set is another great looking set, in my opinion. Nice thick cardboard, too, which is always appreciated.

2012 Topps Opening Day #108 Roy Oswalt
2013 Topps Opening Day #57 Cliff Lee
I don't think I've bought a single pack of Opening Day since 2003. It's nice to get a couple every now and then to fill in the holes.

2013 Topps Chasing History #CH-39 Jim Thome
In addition to a bunch of 2013 Topps base that fit nicely into my team set, there was also this beautiful specimen commemorating Thome's left handed HR record. In 2003, he won the League HR title and also beat Chuck Klein's 1929 single season record for lefties by four.

2013 Topps Target Red Border #625 Dom Brown
Sometimes parallels work really well and sometimes they are really awful. Luckily the Target Red Border parallels that Topps have been doing work. At least for Phillies' cards I really love the look of the red borders.

2008 Upper Deck Masterpieces #69 Chase Utley
Upper Deck Masterpieces is another set that I've always admired. I mean, come on, that's a damn nice looking card.


 

More retro goodness! This time from 2004 Fan Favorites, another set near and dear to my heart. Thanks again Night Owl! And keep an eye on the mailbox; I may have found a couple more interesting items for you...

I recently set up a trade on Sports Card Forum with a user named Shadowking86. Well, it turns out he runs a blog called Red Sox Fan in Nebraska and he is, you guessed it, a Red Sox fan in Nebraska! (Another offense that can be forgiven since he sent me some Phillies cards)

2013 Topps Allen & Ginter Mini A & G Back #143 Mike Schmidt
The Man, the Myth, the Moustache. In mini format, no less. While my lack of Ginter love is pretty well know, even I have to admit that this is a pretty snazzy card.

2013 Topps Gypsy Queen #189 Cliff Lee
Gypsy Queen is a set I like considerably more than Allen & Ginter; however, I refuse to buy any more packs of it, since I've had terrible luck pulling Phillies cards out of it. Seriously, I think I've bought two blasters, a bunch of rack packs, and a ton of single packs and only pulled two Ryan Howard cards. Actually, I've had terrible Phillies pulling luck in general lately. Don't even get me started. 

Thanks again for the trade, Brad! Hopefully, we can do it again soon. Go check out his blog; I'm in a group break that he's doing right now, so fingers crossed I'll have some more sweet cards to show off soon.


1 comment:

  1. Glad to be able to send you Phillies again! And I know what you mean about Ryan Howard not really being on that card. That's how I feel about those Donruss Dick Perez painting cards.

    ReplyDelete