Saturday, July 18, 2009

Weekend Pack Break Blowout! (pt. 1)

The title may be a bit much, sure, but when have I had the opportunity to open a bunch of packs just for the sake of opening them? I'm hoping to make this a weekly feature and will try to save all my pack busting for the weekend.

First up is a few non-baseball packs I picked up at Target today. I don't get a chance to frequent Target much, but when I'm there I usually try to pick up a couple packs. I love the "discount" bin they have, but rarely find anything there that I want to buy. Today was no different -- I had no desire to walk away from Target with nothing but some 2003 and 2005 Topps, so I looked to the newer fare. I ended up buying 3 packs of UD Legends Masterpieces Hockey and a pack of Indiana Jones Masterpieces. Interesting...

2008 UD Legends Masterpieces is a great looking set. These are retail packs, so 4 cards each. I don't follow hockey and know virtually nothing about the sport. My 7 year old daughter, on the other hand, played her first season of ice hockey over the winter and loves it. She especially likes being a goalie. So I usually pick up a pack here and there looking for Penguins cards (her favorite) and cards of goalies (her second favorite). Lets see what luck we had.

Pack #1
38 Wayne Gretsky
34 Bobby Orr
39 Luc Robitaille
12 Mario Lemieux (Score!)

Pack #2
20 Wayne Gretsky
22 Cam Neely
49 Brian Leetch
9 Richard Brodeur (Goalie!)

Pack #3
63 Steve Shutt
20 Wayne Gretsky (again?)
7 Patrick Roy (this makes up for it -- another goalie)
85 Mr. Hockey

No big "hits", but a card in each pack that will make Abby happy, so that's alright with me.

Next is a pack of Topps Indiana Jones Masterpieces cards. I am a huge Indiana Jones fan and if I had had access to these cards sooner I probably would have a ton of them by now. That being said I think I may buy a box and put together the set because these cards are freakin' sweet. This is an all-art set encompassing comic art, posters, cover art, production paintings, etc. Very cool stuff, indeed. Here are a few of my favorite ones from this 7 card pack.
Stay tuned...there's more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment